Learn more about SMART Recovery programs in Dallas
As part of the Bible Belt, Dallas is a more religious place compared to other major American cities, with about 4 in 5 Dallasites identifying as Christian. It’s no surprise then, that a large number of drug rehab programs in Dallas are either faith-based or have a religious perspective.
Indeed, many 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous include a religious component as part of their approach to recovery. For many Dallasites, this may not be a problem, given that these programs may already align with the faith they already have.
However, these approaches do not work for everyone, especially those who are not spiritual or wish to engage in the beliefs promoted by the recovery program.
For these other folks, SMART Recovery programs offer therapy that is more flexible and inclusive.
SMART Recovery and how it manages substance use disorders
SMART Recovery (Self-Management and Recovery Training) works best for self-directed people who have an inner motivation to quit drugs. It does this by providing individuals with substance use disorders the resources to do so.
People in the program learn how to:
- Increase their motivation to quit drugs and stay on the path to recovery
- Control urges and triggers that might derail their recovery
- Become more aware of their thoughts to avoid negative behaviors stemming from poor thinking
- Acquire the skills necessary to achieve a good life balance
What kind of help does SMART Recovery provide?
The type of help provided by this educational non-profit is as follows:
- Secular educational materials for treatment – There are no suggestions to pray to a Higher Power or to invoke any religious sentiment within the materials that are provided.
- Referrals – They will let visitors know of meetings in their local area or where to find a SMART Recovery program nearby.
- Online meetings – For those that do not have any groups near them, they still have the option to do online meetings.
- Meeting materials – For those starting a group in their area, the organization provides the materials and roadmap to implement the SMART approach.
- Message boards – If someone has an issue or wants to see what others are doing, there are message boards online to discuss the SMART program.
- Chatrooms – For people who want some peer support, there are 24/7 chat rooms available for those in the recovery process. This can be helpful to people who need immediate support or simply to talk to someone who is going through the same recovery journey.
- Facilitator training – Professionals in rehab wanting to implement the principles of SMART Recovery have the option to get facilitator training for their staff.
- Site visits – SMART Recovery trainers will then come out and show the staff how to get the program off the ground with their materials.
If you or someone you care about is struggling with alcohol or drugs but is not interested in the religious approach most 12-step programs in Dallas have, a SMART Recovery program might be the right choice. These programs offer the benefits of a conventional 12-step recovery process without the need to engage in questions related to one’s beliefs.
Whatever you believe in, you deserve a chance to become sober. Call Dallas Drug Treatment Centers at (214) 453-5663 for more information on SMART Recovery programs in your neighborhood.